ABARES Social Sciences provides high quality social research and analysis to enhance the competitiveness and sustainability of Australia's agricultural, fishing, food, and forestry industries, the quality of the Australian environment, and to achieve stronger rural and regional communities.
The Social Sciences team undertakes applied social research and analysis to support the strategic goals of the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources, other government agencies, research and development corporations, and industry bodies. The team contributes specialist advice to sectoral committees (Marine Pest Sectoral Committee) and provides social science expert advice and support to the Fisheries Research and Development Corporations’ Steering Committee through the
Social Sciences and Economics Research Coordination Program (SSERCP) 2015-2018.
Key projects in 2018-19
Our key projects and clients in 2018-19 include:
Monitoring landholder pest and weed management practices (Wave 2) (Biosecurity Policy and Implementation Division, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources)
- Social Network Analysis of the Australian marine pest system (Animal Biosecurity, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources)
- Human dimensions of agriculture, fisheries and forestry (ABARES, Department of Agriculture and Water Resources)
- Seasonal agricultural labour demand and supply (Agricultural Policy, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources)
- Operationalising general surveillance – what does it take?(ABARES, Department of Agriculture and Water Resources)
- Australia’s State of the Forests Report 2018 – resilience indicators (National Forest Inventory Steering Committee)