2019–20 Portfolio Budget Statements
The 2019–20 Budget was handed down on 2 April 2019. The Budget includes a number of new initiatives in the Agriculture and Water Resources Portfolio including:
- A new Agricultural Stewardship Package comprising an agricultural biodiversity policy, an agricultural biodiversity stewardship pilot program and a farm biodiversity certification scheme.
- Further measures to promote trade and market access and boost international competitiveness including programs to minimise the impact of non-tariff measures and accelerate horticulture market access.
- National leadership for the agricultural innovation system and the development of an agricultural education and workforce strategy.
2019–20 Budget measures for the Agriculture and Water Resources Portfolio are presented in the 2019–20 Portfolio Budget Statements (PBS). The PBS provides information to the Parliament on the proposed allocation of the department’s resources in the relevant financial year.
Full Portfolio Budget Statements
Regional Ministerial Budget Statement – Building Stronger Regional Communities 2019-20
The Australian Government is committed to supporting our regional economies to continue to grow and to ensure regional communities are safe, prosperous and sustainable over the long term. The 2019–20 Budget builds on the Australian Government’s investment in our regions to deliver the foundations for a strong and sustainable economy for all Australians, new regional initiatives are outlined in the Regional Ministerial Budget Statement – Building Stronger Regional Communities 2019-20.
2018–19 Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook
The 2018–19 Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook (MYEFO) was released by the Treasurer on 17 December 2018. MYEFO included a range of new initiatives for the Agriculture and Water Resources Portfolio including:
- Assistance for farmers and farm communities in drought, including changes to the Farm Household Allowance program, additional loan funding through the Regional Investment Corporation and water security measures.
- Further measures in response to the review of intergovernmental biosecurity arrangements, including Indigenous rangers, a Chief Environmental Biosecurity Officer, pests and weeds management and an innovation program.
- Trade measures relating to fruit fly management, modernising agricultural trade systems and an
Inspector-General of Live Animal Exports.
These and other changes to portfolio resourcing since Budget 2018–19 are included in the 2018–19 Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements (PAES), which was tabled in the Parliament on 14 February 2019.
Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements 2018–19
The Portfolio Additional Estimates Statements detail financial arrangements, allocate expenditure against outcomes and describes how these activities contribute to the Government’s policy priorities.
previous budgets and portfolio budget statements.