Date issued: June 2015
Date of Expiry: Until Further Notice
Distributed to: Approved Certifying Organisations
Last Notice in the category: Nil
Instruction issued under: Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders
1. To advise that all stages of the organic chain, including importers and wholesale traders, must be inspected and certified for organic products that are then exported from Australia to Europe.
2. Department of Agriculture is the Australian central competent authority responsible for the export of prescribed goods, including products labelled as organic or biodynamic.
3. The legal instrument for exporting products certified as organic and biodynamic is the
Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders. The basis under which exports of these goods can occur is compliance with the National Standard for Organic and Biodynamic Produce or importing country requirements.
4. To maintain integrity of the organic produce, all organic operators (including importers, wholesalers, retailers and exporters of certified products) must be inspected and certified by approved certifying organisations.
5. The department advises of the requirement for inspection and certification of all stages of the organic chain, including importers or wholesale traders involved in exports of Australian organic plant and plant products to Europe.
6 The approved certifying organisation must ensure all organic operators who intend to export Australian products labelled as ‘organic’, ‘bio-dynamic’ (or words of similar intent) are certified and inspected to confirm the operators’ activities comply with the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce or importing country requirements.
7. Approved certifying organisations to:
8. Note the Department of Agriculture will audit this policy and procedure for the inspection and certification of operators involved in the organic import and export system.
- Document and implement a procedure for the inspection and certification of all stages of the organic chain; and
- Immediately notify the department when issues affecting market access and organic certification arise; and
- Maintain accurate records of all inspections and certifications.