Australian Biosecurity Awards recognise individuals, groups and organisations that show a commitment to working collaboratively with the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources to support and promote Australia's biosecurity and the systems that uphold it.
Nominations for the 2017 Australian Biosecurity Awards are now open.
There are three award categories:
- Australian Biosecurity Award – Industry
- Australian Biosecurity Award – Government
- David Banks Biosecurity Lifetime Achievement Award
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources employees are not eligible for nomination for these awards.
Australian Biosecurity Awards
The awards recognise businesses, industry and government organisations, teams and individuals that:
- Design, implement and/or lead biosecurity reform initiatives within their organisation and/or industry sector to support Australia’s biosecurity integrity
- Demonstrate significant biosecurity integrity and raise biosecurity awareness within their operations and/or industry sector
- Collaboratively work with the department to manage biosecurity risk
- Identify, report and/or lead the management of a disease outbreak or pest incursion
- Report suspicious activities that may be of biosecurity concern
- Make an outstanding contribution to protecting or maintaining animal or plant health
- Raise awareness of Australia’s biosecurity requirements offshore
David Banks Biosecurity Lifetime Achievement Award
The David Banks Biosecurity Lifetime Achievement Award recognises individuals, teams or organisations who have made an outstanding contribution beyond their normal duties to Australian biosecurity over a sustained period of time. To be eligible, nominees should have:
- ten or more years of sustained contribution to Australian biosecurity
- made a significant contribution to Australian biosecurity in the areas of research, industry achievement, professional leadership or service
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria:
- History of service
- Contribution to Australian biosecurity
- Leadership within industry in supporting and promoting Australian biosecurity
Government sector nominees are not eligible for the David Banks Biosecurity Lifetime Achievement Award.
How to apply
- read the general information section in the nomination form to check eligibility and nomination requirements
- complete the nomination form Word [1.0 MB]
- submit the form no later than 31 October 2016
Completed forms may be submitted by:
Australian Biosecurity Awards
c/o Engagement, Assurance and Governance
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
GPO Box 858
Canberra, ACT 2601
Winners of the 2017 Australian Biosecurity Awards will be announced at the presentation ceremony held in Canberra as part of the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) Outlook Conference on Tuesday 7 March 2017.
The details of last year’s award recipients are outlined in 2016 ABA booklet.