Putting agriculture in your region in context
5 May 2015
Key information profiling Australia’s agriculture sector on a region-by-region basis is available at the click of a button with ABARES’ latest About my region profiles.
ABARES Executive Director, Karen Schneider, said the profiles presented an overview of the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sectors in each region.
“We have compiled useful and detailed information on employment figures, value and size of the industries for various areas in all states and territories,” Ms Schneider said.
“It provides a snap-shot of agriculture in your region, as well as the recent financial performance of the broadacre, dairy and vegetable industries.”
The About my region profiles contain information on:
- the geographic size and population of the region
- the number of people employed in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sectors (compared with other sectors) in the region
- the value of agricultural production in the region
- the number and type of farms in the region
- indicators of recent farm financial performance based on ABARES survey data (farm cash incomes, business profit, debt levels, rate of return to capital) for grains, sheep, beef and dairy farms
- the size and value of the fisheries sector in/near the region
- some information about the size and value of the forestry industry, including the area and composition of plantation areas and native forests.
Ms Schneider also emphasised the importance of good data and information to industry.
“It is important that growers and producers across Australia have access to up to date, useful information on their regions and these profiles allow them to put their region into a national context,” Ms Schneider said.
“The more information industry has, the better it can plan and make business decisions, and this is just one of the products ABARES produces to make agricultural data and forecasts available.”
Each year the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES) prepares a series of regional profiles of New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory and the ACT.
To view the latest collection of About my region profiles visit About my region.