Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stream
From the northern most tip of the Torres Strait through to the Southern Ocean, from east to west, the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources has a broad reach.
Our vision is for a reconciled and inclusive Australian society that recognises and celebrates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s local knowledge, customs, traditions and diversity. This starts with us.
Our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander stream will give you a taste of the expansive work of the department and you’ll be at the forefront of innovative solutions in the public service.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates will be supported on their journey through:
- the new Reconciliation Action Plan 2017–19 that recognises and celebrates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ customs, traditions and diversity
- committed and passionate executive level Indigenous Champions
- an active and supportive Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employee network with Indigenous Ambassadors in each office location
- comprehensive mentoring and assistance programs and the opportunity to become a mentor to other staff
- Reconciliation and NAIDOC week celebrations
- opportunities to participate in leadership and talent development programs
- a welcoming and inclusive workplace culture.
- Three workplace rotations across the department
- A five day industry visit, providing you with a rich on the job learning experience and the opportunity to meet with stakeholders and complete a research project.
- Engagement with the senior leaders of the department
- An opportunity to apply for a work placement within one of the department’s portfolio agencies or regional offices
- A visit to the Minister’s Office, Senate Estimates and Parliament House to gain exposure to parliamentary proceedings
- An active network of graduates, access to a buddy and senior executive level Graduate Champion.
- Inclusion into our graduate network, access to a buddy and senior executive Graduate Champion
- A targeted suite of learning and development to become an effective policy or programme officer including:
On successful completion of the program, you will become a permanent employee of the department at the APS4 classification and salary.