The agriculture portfolio supports the sustainability, profitability and competitiveness of Australia’s agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries. The Minister for Agriculture, the Hon. Barnaby Joyce MP, and the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Agriculture, Senator the Hon. Richard Colbeck, were responsible for the portfolio in 2014–15.
During 2014–15, the portfolio consisted of:
- the Australian Government Department of Agriculture
- two prescribed agencies under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) that also undertake regulatory roles:
- four research and development corporations:
- one entity that undertakes a regulatory role and acts as a research and development corporation:
Links to the websites of portfolio agencies are available on the department's website.
This annual report covers the Department of Agriculture and has been prepared in accordance with the Public Service Act 1999 and the Requirements for annual reports for departments, executive agencies and other non-corporate Commonwealth entities. It includes the:
- annual report required under subsection 26(1) of the Natural Resources Management (Financial Assistance) Act 1992 (see Appendix 5)
- annual report of the National Residue Survey programme, required under section 10 of the National Residue Survey Administration Act 1992 (see Appendix 6).
Portfolio agencies table their own reports, which are available on their websites.
Since 1994, Commonwealth departments and agencies have reported on their performance as policy adviser, purchaser, employer, regulator and provider under the Commonwealth Disability Strategy.
In 2007–08, reporting on the employer role was transferred to the Australian Public Service Commission’s State of the Service Report and the APS Statistical Bulletin. These reports are available on the APSC website.
The Commonwealth Disability Strategy has been overtaken by the National Disability Strategy 2010–2020, which sets out a 10-year national policy framework to improve the lives of people with disability, promote participation and to create a more inclusive society. A high-level, two-yearly report will track progress against each of the six outcome areas of the strategy and present a picture of how people with disability are faring. These reports are available on the Department of Social Services website.
Figure 6 Portfolio structure at 30 June 2015