Being a best practice regulator
Encourage regulators to undertake their functions with the minimum impact
necessary to achieve regulatory objectives and to effect positive ongoing and lasting cultural change.
The Australian Government Regulator Performance Framework was developed to encourage regulators to undertake their functions with the minimum impact necessary to achieve regulatory objectives and to effect positive ongoing and lasting cultural change.
The department performs a range of functions to achieve its regulatory objectives. The following core regulatory functions are within the scope of the framework:
- the delivery of biosecurity and export certification
- the monitoring of imported food
- the regulation of the importation of timber products and processing of raw logs to combat illegal logging
- water efficiency labelling and standards
- the collection of levies for research, development and marketing.
We will assess our performance against the six key indicators in the Regulator Performance Framework:
- Regulators do not unnecessarily impede the efficient operation of regulated entities.
- Communication with regulated entities is clear, targeted and effective.
- Actions undertaken by regulators are proportionate to the regulatory risk being managed.
- Compliance and monitoring approaches are streamlined and coordinated.
- Regulators are open and transparent in their dealings with regulated entities.
- Regulators actively contribute to the continuous improvement of regulatory frameworks.
The department will complete a self-assessment against this framework, in consultation with key stakeholders, and it will be made publicly available by 31 December 2016. There has been some assessment provided in relation to our regulatory performance at Strategic Objective 7, specifically through the following performance measures:
- Business processes and client services are improved through the better use of modern technology and improved work practices.
- The delivery of departmental services meets agreed service standards.
- A risk-based proportionate approach to compliance obligations and engagement is maintained or improved.