Emergency bushfire support for primary producers

After bushfires, primary producers in declared bushfire disaster areas need to act quickly. We are working with state and territory governments to get funding to the people who need it.


The Australian Government has committed $100 million in emergency grants.

Up to $75,000 is available to farmers, fishers and foresters located in declared bushfire disaster areas. This is to cover costs for immediate and emergency needs not covered by existing insurance policies.

These grants will be available under existing Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements. This is a co-funding arrangement with state and territory governments.



To be eligible, you must:

  • not be a corporation
  • earn more than 50% of your income from primary production
  • spend part of your labour on primary production
  • intend to rebuild your business in its current location.

If you don’t earn more than 50% of your income from primary production, you may still be eligible if:

  • you can show you will earn 50% of your income from primary production within 3 years, or
  • you can show you would ordinarily earn more than 50% of your income from primary production but this has been affected by drought, and
  • in both cases, you earn less than $100,000 in “off-farm” income.

Farmers, fishers, private foresters and beekeepers can apply.

Your expenditure

The recovery grants can be used to clean-up and repair bushfire damage.

These grants can go towards:

  • equipment and materials used in clean-ups
  • additional labour costs
  • disposing of damaged goods and injured or dead livestock
  • repairs to buildings (other than housing)
  • fencing repairs
  • replacing or repairing essential equipment
  • salvaging crops
  • treating livestock, poultry and aquaculture species
  • buying fodder, grain and feeds for livestock and poultry
  • purchasing or hiring equipment used to immediately resume business
  • replacing essential water used for firefighting
  • water cartage
  • safety inspections.

Grants cannot be used to repair damage:

  • to residential properties
  • covered under existing insurance policies.

How to apply

Applications can be submitted through your relevant state agency. Please click on your relevant state agency in the table below for further information on how to apply, including access to application forms and guidelines.

If you require assistance with completing your application, or wish to speak to someone directly please contact your relevant state agency using the contact details provided below.

State Relevant agency and link to website Contact number  
New South Wales Rural Assistance Authority 1800 678 593
Queensland Queensland Rural Industry and Development Authority 1800 623 946      
South Australia Primary Industries and Regions South Australia 1800 931 314
Victoria Rural Finance Victoria 1800 260 425

Requests for disaster assistance

If you’re directly affected by the bushfires, you can claim disaster payments by calling Services Australia on 180 22 66.

Last reviewed: 22 January 2020
Thanks for your feedback.
Thanks! Your feedback has been submitted.

We aren't able to respond to your individual comments or questions.
To contact us directly phone us or submit an online inquiry

Please verify that you are not a robot.