6 December 2019
|Export Advisory Notice 2019-12 PDF||2||693 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing this file, please visit web accessibility.
- AniMark Ltd
- Animals Australia
- Australian Livestock Exporters' Council
- Australian Veterinary Association
- Importing country government agencies, importers and facilities
- Livestock exporters
- Livestock industry bodies and Research and Development Corportations’s
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- RSPCA Australia
To advise stakeholders that consultation on a third party assurance scheme for exported livestock is open. This scheme will support the implementation of the Livestock Global Assurance Program (LGAP).
- Consultation of the regulation impact statement is now open.
- Stakeholders are invited to provide feedback on the topics included in the regulation impact statement through the department's Have Your Say webpage. Consultation will be open for submissions for a period of 6 weeks.
- Stakeholders can subscribe through the Have Your Say webpage to receive notification of any updates to the consultation round.
Since 2011, the Exporter Supply Chain Assurance Scheme (ESCAS) has allowed the department to identify opportunities to improve animal welfare in the supply chain. In addition to past reforms, opportunities exist to simplify administrative processes, increase flexibility and reduce cost burdens.
The livestock industry have demonstrated their commitment to improving animal welfare outcomes through the development of LGAP, a third party assurance scheme that continues to protect the welfare of animals, promotes best practice and fosters continual improvement. Existing regulation does not allow a third party assurance scheme like LGAP to be accredited as ensuring the principles of ESCAS are upheld and used to streamline assessment processes and demonstrate compliance with the ESCAS framework.
In 2016, the government made an election commitment to provide industry with $8.3 million to implement LGAP. This regulation impact statement seeks industry comment on implementing a third party assurance scheme to support ESCAS.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture
Phone: 02 6272 4581