20 September 2021
|Export advisory notice 2021-17 PDF||2||152 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
Species: All livestock
To advise all stakeholders that the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment has commenced consultation on Have Your Say for the 2021 update of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL 3.2).
- Consultation is now open on Have Your Say for the draft ASEL 3.2.
- To read the draft ASEL 3.2 and make a submission, go to https://haveyoursay.awe.gov.au/2021-asel-update.
- All stakeholders are invited to provide their feedback.
- Consultation will be open for a period of 4 weeks. Submissions are due by 18 October 2021.
- The proposed changes in the draft ASEL 3.2 focus on reducing ambiguity and improving readability and usability.
- Issues that are complex may not be able to be addressed in this update but will be considered for future review processes.
The 2018 Review of the regulatory capability of the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources in the regulation of live animal exports (Moss review) recommended that the department regularly review the ASEL to ensure the standard remains fit for purpose and reflect the latest science. In line with the recommendation, the department has drafted the 2021 update.
Where possible, the draft addresses feedback received from stakeholders since the introduction of ASEL 3 in November 2020.
Key changes proposed in the draft ASEL 3.2 include:
- updates to diagrams, figures, or graphics to improve readability
- revised standards to implement previously agreed policy or operational positions
- removal of incorrect or redundant standards or parts of a standard
- revised standards to simplify or clarify requirements
- revised standards in line with industry practice or research outcomes
- revised standards in line with legislative requirements.
The 2021 update of the ASEL will result in a new version of the standards, ASEL 3.2, which will be published towards the end of year.
Animal Welfare Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581