3 March 2022
Species: All livestock exported by sea
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
To advise stakeholders that the department has published a new policy for the export of livestock by sea entitled: Loading foreign sourced fodder onto a vessel carrying Australian livestock (the new policy) to support the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (Version 3.2) (ASEL).
- In accordance with ASEL standard 5.1.14 (d), exporters seeking to load any foreign sourced fodder onto a vessel carrying Australian livestock post-departure from Australia must seek approval from the department prior to loading.
- The new policy outlines the process for requesting approval from the department, in exceptional circumstances, to load foreign sourced fodder to feed Australian livestock onboard a vessel, in order to comply with the requirements set out in ASEL Standard 5 (Loading and onboard management requirements).
- On 18 November 2021, the department published ASEL 3.2.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Senior Veterinary Officer
Phone: 02 6272 4581