18 March 2022
- Livestock Exporters
To inform of the method to renew a livestock export licence.
- The procedure for renewing a licence is the same as the initial application for a licence. The renewal application should be made on the form ‘Livestock Export Licence, Approved Arrangement, and Approved Export Program – new application, renewal and variations’ - on the department’s website.
- As outlined on the department’s website, applicants must apply to renew a livestock export licence in the period of 60 days starting on the day that is 180 days before the expiry date for the licence i.e. between 4 and 6 months before the licence expires (time window).
- If an application is not made within this time window, an exporter will need to apply for a new licence rather than a renewal.
- Following submission within the time window as outlined above, applicants renewing a licence should allow 40 business days for the department to assess a complete application.
- Licence holders who wish to vary their licence must also complete the ‘Livestock Export Licence, Approved Arrangement, and Approved Export Program – new application, renewal, and variations’ form. This will include variations for, but not limited to, changes in management and control, changes to the species licenced, mode of transport changes and business detail changes.
- Licence holders should contact the department via email at email@example.com should they have any questions or concerns about regarding their licence and renewal timeframes.
Exporters of livestock from Australia must be licenced in accordance with the Export Control Act 2020 (Cth) (the Act) and Export Control (Animals) Rules 2021 (Cth) (the Animals Rules).
Livestock export licence holders have obligations under the Act and the Animals Rules when applying to renew their livestock export licences.
The period within which a livestock export licence holder must apply to renew their licence is prescribed by section 6-26 of the Animals Rules. This section provides that the period within which an application to renew a livestock export licence must be made is the period of 60 days starting on the day that is 180 days before the expiry date for the licence.
The licence application charge for renewing an export licence or making a variation is the same for a new licence. The renewal or variation application charge may be paid by credit card.
For full details of the Live Animal Export charges, see the department’s Charging guidelines.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
For further information please contact:
Phone: 02 6272 4581