India: Change of import requirements for milk and milk products (2020-03)
Date of issue: 23 January 2020
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2020-03
Industries—Industry bodies – Dairy Australia – Infant Nutrition Council
Export dairy establishments
Department of Agriculture — Central and Regional offices
To notify manufacturers and exporters of the change of India’s import requirements of milk and milk products.
Summary of key points
- As of the 20 December 2019, the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD), has updated the import conditions for milk and milk products into India.
- Under the new import conditions, milk and milk products manufactured using animal rennet are no longer eligible for export to India, despite previous approval when identified by appropriate labelling.
- The new conditions are effective immediately. However, goods that have arrived or will be arriving in India with a valid import permit, (stipulating conditions of import) will continue to be cleared in accordance with those conditions until expiry of the import permit.
- Prior to requesting an export permit with the department, exporters are advised to check with their importer that the dairy products being exported are eligible for entry into India, and will comply with the conditions stipulated on their import permit.
- As with all shipments, the milk and milk products for export must meet export legislation, and specifically in relation to India must meet the requirements stipulated in the import permit.
- The department is currently negotiating new certification that will meet the new import conditions, and will provide further information once agreed by DAHD.
- The Manual of Importing Country Requirements (MICoR) will be updated to reflect the new requirements.
- The existing conditions of ‘if milk product contains animal rennet, it should be labelled’ has been replaced with ‘the milk product has not been manufactured using animal rennet’.
- The change of import conditions by DAHD is consistent with India’s domestic standards for milk and milk products which excludes the use of animal rennet.
Contact ExportStandards@agriculture.gov.au if you have any queries.