2018-02 - Announcement of Stage 1 of the ASEL review
8 February 2018
|Export Advisory Notice 2018-02 PDF||2||270 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
Species: All livestock
- Departmental officers
- Livestock exporters
- Australian Livestock Exporters Industry (ALEC)
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians
- Registered Premises Operators
To inform all livestock export industry participants that the public consultation period for Stage 1 of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) Review is now open.
- The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources has commenced a comprehensive review of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL). These standards ensure livestock are fit for export and help manage the risks to health and welfare during the voyage.
- The review is being conducted by a technical advisory committee made up of an independent chair, Dr Chris Back, and experts in animal health and welfare, regulatory design and the livestock industry.
- The review is being conducted in stages to allow the committee to address issues in priority order and align review topics with projected research outcomes.
- The public consultation period for Stage 1 is now open. To make a submission go to: www.haveyoursay.agriculture.gov.au. Submissions close 20 March 2018.
All industry participants are encouraged to:
- prepare a submission to Stage 1 of the review by visiting: www.haveyoursay.agriculture.gov.au. Include feedback on:
- the proposed new format for the standards, which includes all requirements in one document without changing the regulatory impact
- key issues the committee should address in the next stages of the review.
- notify stakeholders that the public consultation period for Stage 1 of the review is now open and direct them to: www.haveyoursay.agriculture.gov.au to submit feedback or the ASEL Review page on the department’s website for further information.
- Each stage of the review is expected to take 6 to 8 months and will involve:
- Release of an issues paper on the identified work plan topic and call for public submissions
- Analysis of submissions by the technical advisory committee, in consultation with a reference group of key stakeholders as required
- Release of draft recommendations for public comment; and
- Delivery of a consultation report outlining the relevant issues raised by stakeholders and the committee’s considerations in reaching their final recommendations.
- The committee will work closely with the ASEL Reference Group – a group of key stakeholders including an animal welfare organisation, a veterinary association, industry representatives and producer bodies – that will act as a sounding board for the committee to discuss the technical and practical aspects of the trade.
- The committee may also contact other relevant experts about specific issues and those who made a submission to further understand issues/points raised.
- This review will build on the previous ASEL review that started in 2012. It is in line with recommendations from the Farmer Review (2011).
Live Animal Exports Branch
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
Contact: Jo Hutchinson
Phone: 02 6271 6660
Email: TAC Secretariat