2020-05 -New regulations for live sheep exports to, or through, the Middle East
22 April 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-05 PDF||2||154 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
Countries: To or through Middle East
- Animals Australia
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Australian Veterinary Association
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises Operators
- RSPCA Australia
To inform the livestock export industry of the new requirements for sheep exports to, or through, the Middle East from 1 May to 31 October, inclusive.
- New requirements under the Australian Meat and Live-stock Industry (Prohibition of Export of Sheep by Sea to Middle East – Northern Summer) Order 2020 (Northern Summer Order) will come into force on 1 May 2020.
- The Northern Summer Order is available at https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020L00389.
- Information about the changes can be found on the department’s website at https://www.agriculture.gov.au/export/controlled-goods/live-animals/livestock/information-exporters-industry/sheep-to-middle-east.
- The Australian Meat and Live-stock Industry (Export of Sheep by Sea to Middle East) Order 2018 (Middle East Order) has been amended to clarify that it does not permit the export of a consignment of sheep if the export is prohibited by the Northern Summer Order – see https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020L00401.
- Exporters must comply with the regulatory framework for livestock exports that now includes the new requirements set out in the Northern Summer Order.
- Exporters holding an Approved Arrangement (AA) that enables the sourcing, preparation and export of sheep by sea to or through the Middle East must update their AA and associated documents to reflect the new requirements.
Please contact the department for more information or to discuss how these changes affect any consignment preparations.
Live Animal Export Branch
Live Animal Export Division
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581