2020-10 - Publication of new and revised policies and guidelines to support ASEL 3.0 implementation
20 May 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-10 PDF||2||266 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing this file, please visit web accessibility.
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs)
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises Operators
To advise stakeholders that the revised Approved arrangement guidelines for the export of livestock (AA guidelines) have been published. The department has also published 3 additional policy documents to support the implementation of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) 3.0.
- The AA guidelines have been revised to align with ASEL 3.0 and are now available on the department’s approved arrangements webpage. The revised AA guidelines now include:
- information to assist exporters in writing or varying an approved arrangement, including information on how to apply for various components that can form part of an AA provided for under ASEL 3.0
- specific guidance on developing management plans for certain types of consignments or classes of livestock; and
- the application process and assessment criteria for alternative pen space approvals.
- Also now available on the transition to ASEL 3.0 webpage are 3 policy documents to support consignment by consignment application types provided for under ASEL 3.0 or compliance with ASEL 3.0 requirements. These include:
- AAVs and stockpersons on sea voyages – applying for alternative arrangements in accordance with ASEL 3.0
- Breeder cattle by sea – applying for a validity extension for pregnancy testing in accordance with ASEL 3.0
- Water deprivation for livestock exported by air to support compliance with ASEL 3.0.
- During the transition to ASEL 3.0, the department will actively engage with exporters, registered premises operators, AAVs and other key stakeholders on the changes and process for transition to ASEL 3.0 for all consignments exported on or after 1 November 2020. Stakeholders will be notified when variations to approved application types can be submitted to the department for assessment.
- Further information on how and when changes will be required can be found on the transition to ASEL 3.0 page on the department’s website.
- On 22 April 2020, the department published a new version of ASEL. ASEL 3.0 will apply to all consignments exported on or after 1 November 2020. ASEL 2.3 continues to apply for all consignments exported on or before 31 October 2020.
- For exporters operating under an approved arrangement, the implementation of ASEL 3.0 will result in administrative and export supply chain changes. The AA guidelines have been written to assist exporters with applications for new or varied AAs to support the updates that will be required to transition to ASEL 3.0.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581