2020-18 - Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock 3.0 errata
2 October 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-18 PDF||2||128 KB|
|Attachment A – ASEL 3.0 errata PDF||3||257 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs)
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises Operators
To advise industry and internal stakeholders of an errata to the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) 3.0 and to request stakeholders update their ASEL 3.0 copies.
- The department has identified minor publishing errors in the A5 hardcopy of ASEL 3.0, that was printed and distributed by the department.
- In addition, the department has identified definitions and standards in both the A5 hardcopy of ASEL 3.0 and the electronic ASEL 3.0 published on the department’s website that contain errors or require additional clarification.
- Attachment A details the errors and the amendments to be made, including instructions to update printed copies and hardcopies. The majority of changes are minor in nature and have no regulatory impact. Other changes to note include:
- The alternative minimum pen space allocation table (1.5 in Attachment A) has been corrected for weights 405-500kg to ensure that no animal has less space than under ASEL 2.3. The change enables access to the alternative pen space allocation for all South-East Asian markets without the need for multiple tables for different voyage lengths.
- The minimum aircraft crate pen area for alpacas exported by air has been revised to provide an allocation based on allometric spacing using k=0.033. The current pen area in ASEL 3.0 represents an increase of 147-167% to ASEL 2.3 figures. The department has analysed past performance and animal welfare outcomes for alpaca exported by air and has determined an allometric approach is considered more suitable. This approach provides an increase of between 47-64% to ASEL 2.3 figures.
- Exporters that need to update their approved arrangement in line with any of these changes can submit the updated information to the department as part of the current AA variation approval process to incorporate ASEL 3.0. Changes can be made by exporters at the same time as they are addressing comments from assessors. A separate variation application is not required.
- A5 hardcopy of ASEL 3.0 users:
- Using Attachment A, make the appropriate amendments to your hardcopy.
- Alternatively, you can print the revised pages from the online ASEL 3.0 A5 version and paste them over the relevant page(s) in your hardcopy.
- Electronic ASEL 3.0 users:
- Note the amendments in Attachment A. The online ASEL 3.0 has been updated.
- If you have printed your own copy from the website, ensure to update the relevant pages using Attachment A or print the relevant pages and replace them in your printed copy.
- On 22 April 2020, the department published a new version of the ASEL. ASEL 3.0 will apply to all consignments that leave Australia on or after 1 November 2020. ASEL 2.3 continues to apply for all consignment that leave Australia on or before 31 October 2020.
- Further information on the transition to ASEL 3.0 can be found on the department’s transitioning to ASEL 3.0 webpage.
Animal Welfare Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Jess Edington (approved arrangement updates)
Claire Berry (ASEL review)
Phone: 02 6272 4581
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-18 Attachment A – ASEL 3.0 errata PDF||3||189 KB|
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-18 Attachment A – ASEL 3.0 errata DOCX||3||257 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing this file, please visit web accessibility.