2020-21 - Publication of new policies to support ASEL 3.0 standards
12 October 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-21 PDF||2||153 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs)
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises (RP) Operators
To advise industry stakeholders that the department has published new policy documents to support the implementation of the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) 3.0. These policies are now available on the department’s website.
- ASEL 3.0 includes new and updated definitions and standards relating to the export of livestock by sea, including:
- Updates to the definitions of ‘voyage’ and ‘day’
- New average daily mortality rate requirements.
- The department has published 3 new policies to facilitate compliance with ASEL 3.0, in line with the new and updated definitions and standards.
- These new policies are now available on the department’s Transitioning to ASEL 3.0 webpage. They are:
- Calculating onboard feed and water provisions under ASEL 3.0
- Voyage length calculations under ASEL 3.0
- Voyage reporting requirements under ASEL 3.0
- These policies are relevant to all sea consignments that depart Australia on or after 1 November 2020.
- Exporters must ensure they are familiar with the policies to facilitate compliance with relevant ASEL 3.0 requirements.
- The Calculating onboard feed and water provisions under ASEL 3.0 policy provides guidance on calculating onboard provisions. Example scenarios with detailed calculations are also provided in the policy.
- The Voyage length calculations under ASEL 3.0 policy provides guidance on calculating estimated and actual voyage length.
- The Voyage reporting requirements under ASEL 3.0 policy provides guidance on daily and end-of-voyage reporting, and mortality reporting. It includes calculations to determine a consignment’s average daily mortality rate.
- On 22 April 2020, the department published a new version of ASEL. ASEL 3.0 will apply to all consignments that leave Australia on or after 1 November 2020. ASEL 2.3 continues to apply for all consignments that leave Australia on or before 31 October 2020.
- Further information on the transition to ASEL 3.0 can be found on the Transitioning to ASEL 3.0 webpage.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581