2020-22 - Changes to pen space requirements for live sheep exports to or through the Middle East: Repeal of Section 10 - Pen space area for sheep
26 October 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-22 PDF||2||206 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
Countries: To or through Middle East
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs)
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises (RP) Operators
To inform stakeholders of a change to specific requirements for sheep exports to, or through, the Middle East that take effect from 1 November 2020.
- As of 1 November 2020, Section 10 – Conditions relating to pen space area for each sheep will be removed from the Australian Meat and Live-stock Industry (Export of Sheep by Sea to Middle East—Northern Winter) Order 2018(Northern Winter Order).
- Instead, from 1 November 2020, the pen space area for sheep to or through the Middle East is to be determined in accordance with the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock 3.0.
- The remainder of the Northern Winter Order, in its current form, will continue until it is repealed and replaced by the Export Control (Animals) Rules 2020.
- Exporters must refer to ASEL 3.0 for the requirements for pen space for sheep.
- Exporters must continue to comply with the remaining sections of the Northern Winter Order.
The Northern Winter Order contains pen space requirements that differ from ASEL 3.0 requirements. Dependent on the liveweight of the sheep, it provides more or less space than required in ASEL 3.0. As part of the review of ASEL 2.3, the independent Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) recommended that pen space allocations for sheep be based on an allometric approach. This recommendation was implemented in ASEL 3.0 which will come into effect 1 November 2020.
Live Animal Welfare Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Calista O’Neil (Policy and Engagement)
Phone: 02 6272 4581