2020-23 - Notification of changes to ASEL 3.0 – cattle by sea and all livestock by air
27 October 2020
|Export Advisory Notice 2020-23 PDF||2||154 KB|
|Attachment A - ASEL 3.0 amendments PDF||6||263 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians
- Australian Livestock Exporter’s Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises Operators
- To advise stakeholders that following a decision by the Minister, the department has:
- revised the tables and policy for alternative minimum pen space allocation, as provided for under the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) 3.0 standard 5.3.3.
- implemented alternative minimum pen space allocations for standards 5.3.4 and 5.3.5.
- included alternative minimum pen space allocations for heavy cattle where the default allocation is more than provided for in ASEL 2.3.
- To also advise stakeholders that compliance with ASEL 3.0 standard 6.1.24 (requirement for a competent stock handler to accompany consignments by air) will be delayed for 12 months from the time ASEL 3.0 commences.
- The Minister for Agriculture, Drought and Emergency Management, the Hon David Littleproud MP, has decided that ASEL 3.0 be amended so that:
- The alternative minimum pen space allocation for cattle loaded at a port north of latitude 26o south reflects ASEL 2.3 pen space.
- Alternative minimum pen space allocation is available for cattle loaded at a port south of latitude 26 o south, reflecting ASEL 2.3 pen space.
- In addition, the Minister decided that amendments are to be made to the Alternative minimum pen space allocation policy under ASEL 3.0 published on 9 October 2020. Updates have been made such that transitional arrangements will apply from 1 November 2020 to 30 April 2021 to enable exporters who hold a licence on 1 November 2020 (existing exporters) to gain access to the alternative minimum pen space allocation.
- The department has amended ASEL 3.0 standard 6.1.24 so that it does not come into force until 12 months from the time ASEL 3.0 commences. This is due to COVID-19 substantially changing arrangements for air travel.
- This amendment avoids the need for consignment-by-consignment approvals.
- It will not increase the risk for livestock exported by air, as standard 6.1.24 is a new requirement, but rather delay implementation of the improvement to the standard for 12 months.
- Instructions to update your hard or printed copies of ASEL 3.0 with these changes is at Attachment A.
- The amended ASEL and updated Alternative minimum pen space allocation policy has been published on the department’s website.
- Impacted exporters will be contacted separately with advice on how to update their approved arrangement. The Approved Arrangement Guidelines have also been updated (refer to element 6.3).
Director, Operations and Governance
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581