2021-03 - Publication of new guidelines to support ASEL 3.0 implementation
10 March 2021
|Export advisory notice 2021-03 PDF||2||207 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
- Australian Government Accredited Veterinarians (AAVs)
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Department Officers
- Livestock Exporters
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Premises Operators
To advise stakeholders that the department has published the new Pregnant southern sourced Bos taurus cattle crossing the equator from May to October management plan guideline to support the Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (ASEL) 3.0.
- The Approved arrangement (AA) guidelines for the export of livestock have been updated.
- The AA guidelines now include the Pregnant southern sourced Bos taurus cattle crossing the equator from May to October management plan guideline.
- Outdated references to ASEL 2.3 have been removed.
- Exporters wishing to export pregnant Bos taurus cattle, sourced for export from any area of Australia south of latitude 26° south, on voyages that cross the equator and depart between 1 May and 31 October (inclusive) must make an application to the department requesting approval of their management plan. The process for applying for approval of a management plan can be found in the AA guidelines.
- The department will work with industry on further updates to the AA guidelines to address potential improvements identified at the implementation stage.
- ASEL sets the minimum animal health and welfare requirements the livestock export industry must meet to prepare and export livestock from Australia. The current version that exporters must comply with is ASEL 3.0.
- In accordance with ASEL 3.0 standard 1.4.3, pregnant Bos taurus cattle sourced for export from any area of Australia south of latitude 26° south must only be exported on voyages that cross the equator and depart between 1 May and 31 October (inclusive) if provided in a Pregnant southern sourced Bos taurus cattle crossing the equator from May to October management plan approved in writing by the department.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
Phone: 02 6272 4581