2021-04 - Legislative changes to Live Animal Exports
30 March 2021
|Export advisory notice 2021-04 PDF||2||223 KB|
If you have difficulty accessing these files, please visit web accessibility.
- All exporters of livestock, live animals and animal reproductive materials
- Australian Accredited Veterinarians
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Council
- Department Officers
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- Registered Establishment Occupiers
To advise that the Export Control (Animals) Rules 2021 and Export Control Act 2020 commenced on 28 March 2021 at 3 am Australian Eastern Daylight Time.
- The department has implemented new export legislation, the Export Control Act and subordinate legislation, Export Control (Animals) Rules which entered into force on 28 March 2021.
- The Animals Rules set specific requirements for the export of livestock, other live animals and reproductive material.
- The new export legislation has been designed to minimise impacts on export businesses. Legislative approvals which existed prior to commencement of the Animals Rules have automatically transitioned. This includes:
- Registered premises (registered establishments under the new legislation)
- Veterinarians accredited by the Australian Government (AAV)
- Approved arrangements
- Export licences
- Notices of intention to export
- Health certificates
- Export permits
- The department has updated policies and guidance, application forms, web content and information, and systems for the commencement of the new Animals Rules to ensure smooth transition to the new legislation framework. Useful links below:
- Regulated entities must use the updated application forms from 28 March 2021.
- For information on how to apply for an exemption for livestock, live animals or animal reproductive material, please see the department’s exemption policy.
- It is now a legislative requirement that, following an inspection of livestock, the department notifies the exporter in writing whether the requirements of the Act and importing country requirements have been met for that consignment.
- All regulated entities must familiarise themselves with the new legislation for the export of live animals. Information on the Animals Rules and the Export Control Act is available online. All regulated entities must carry out export operations in accordance with the new legislation.
Live Animal Export Branch
Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment