AQIS Notice 2011-1 - Use of the AQIS logo
Date issued: 2 February 2011
AQIS Notice Number: 2011/1
AQIS File Number: AFFA01/7727
Date of Effect: Immediate
Date of Expiry: Until further notice
AQIS contact: Julie Crockett + 61 2 6272 3928
Email: NPG Exports
Distribution Category: Approved Certifying Organisations
Last Notice in the category: nil
Instruction issued under: Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders
1. To provide an update on the use of the AQIS logo by non government (private or commercial) organisations.
2. It has come to our attention that the AQIS logo has been used by some certifying organisations to indicate that the organisation is AQIS approved.
3. An AQIS logo is the sole property of the Australian Government. For the purpose of this Notice, AQIS logo means a logo that displays the term AQIS in any form such as:
4. The logo, in the past was able to be used with written approval from the Australian Government.
5. DAFF internal policy has been updated and any previous arrangement with regard to the use of the AQIS logo is no longer valid.
6. Use of an AQIS logo is a breach of the Trade Practices Act 1974, the Trade Marks Act 1995 and the Criminal Code Act 1995 to use the AQIS logo without permission.
7. The DAFF website states:
Use of the AQIS logo
The AQIS logo must not be used for any private or commercial purpose, including on forms or letterheads of businesses involved in import and export. Use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms without permission may breach the Trade Practices Act 1974, the Trade Marks Act 1995 and the Criminal Code Act 1995.
AQIS is an Australian Government agency. The AQIS logo displays the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, the formal symbol of the Commonwealth of Australia that signifies Commonwealth authority and ownership.
The Commonwealth Coat of Arms is used by Australian Government departments and agencies, statutory and non-statutory authorities, the Parliament and Commonwealth courts and tribunals.
Importation of goods bearing the Commonwealth Coat of Arms is prohibited under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations.
AQIS approved certifying organisations to if applicable:
8. advise AQIS of any use
9. remove any reference to AQIS logos (in any form) from their websites and stationery
10. advise AQIS of the completion of 9 above