2011-11 - Eligible product for export
Date Issued: 7 November 2011
AQIS Notice Number: 2011/11
AQIS File Number: AFFA01/7727
Date of Effect: Immediate
Date of Expiry: 30 June 2012
AQIS Contact: Julie Crockett + 61 2 6272 3933
Email: NPG Exports
Approved Certifying Organisations
Last Notice in the category: nil
Instruction issued under: Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders
1. To reinforce the requirements relating to the eligibility of organic products entering the export chain under the auspices of compliance and certification to the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce.
2. The AQIS website hosts AQIS Notices from 2004 – 2011 relevant to the export of organic and bio-dynamic products.
3. The AQIS Export Organic Program during an internal audit, were tasked with addressing the relevance of all AQIS Notices in the AQIS system relating to the export of organic and bio-dynamic products. The following notices have been revoked. The content has been deemed relevant and has been updated and joined together to form this notice:
- 2004/14 - Approved certifying organisation’s logo’s being applied without inspection and certification;
- 2006/1 – Certified “Domestic Only” or “Not for Export”;
- 2006/2 – Non-conforming products and the export chain; and
- 2007/2 – Amino acid isolates – clarification.
4. AQIS approved certifying organisations must ensure that product that has not been made in accordance with and certified to the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce does not enter the export chain except where conformity assessment arrangements are in place.
5. The use of prohibited products or non-conforming inputs in the export system has the potential to jeopardise overseas market access and tarnish Australia’s reputation as a supplier of quality produce.
Products which do not comply with the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce cannot enter the export chain and cannot be certified as compliant with the National Standard. These sorts of products can only be certified to a private standard. This includes:
- product labelled as “Domestic Only” or “Not for Export”;
- product where amino acid isolates have been used (Refer 3.14.7 of National Standard);
- product labelled as “Certified Organic” that is not certified to the National Standard;
- products that contain a certifying organisation logo not certified to the National Standard;
- products where a certifying organisation logo is applied without inspection and / or certification;
- products that have not been produced in Australia;
- products that have been imported into Australia and not significantly transformed;
- products that have left the certification stream during the production process;
- products that do not meet the importing country requirements.
6. Where products are certified to a private standard they cannot use the same logo as export eligible product.
AQIS approved certifying organisations must have documented evidence that they have:
7. Noted the above information; and
8. Reviewed AQIS Notices 2004/14; 2006/1; 2006/2 and 2007/2;
9. Ensured through policies and procedures that all non-conforming products and inputs and product not certified to the National Standard do not enter the export chain.