2011-13 - European Union (EU) Third country listing provision
Date Issued: 23 December 2011
AQIS Notice Number: 2011/13
AQIS File Number: AFFA01/7727
Date of Effect: Immediate
Date of Expiry:Until Further Notice
AQIS Contact: Julie Crockett + 61 2 6272 3933
Email: NPG Exports
Distribution Category: Approved Certifying Organisations
Last Notice in the category: nil
Instruction issued under: Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders
- To remind approved certifying organisations of the legal provision if listed under European Regulations pertaining to Third Country Listing.
- Australia has an equivalence arrangement with Europe for the trade of certified Australian organic plant and plant products.
- To be eligible to export to the EU community, certified Australian organic plant and plant products must be of Australian origin and listed on a Certificate of Inspection for Import of Products from Organic Production into the European Community (Ex11300) issued by an organisation listed on the EU Third Country List (EC) 1235/2008. This official listing of a certifying organisation by the EU does not include inspection and certification activities in countries other than Australia.
- The approved certifying organisation issuing the Certificate of Inspection must verify that all certified products are compliant with the National Standard for Organic and Bio-Dynamic Produce prior to export. This can be accomplished via a physical inspection of the shipment or a risk assessment procedure, which must be documented in the QM manual and records of decisions for each shipment retained for audit and review.
- The certified plant and plant products exported to European countries must be of Australian origin;
- Ingredients, such as natural colours, which are not available in Australia may only be used providing these substances comply with the National Standard;
- The EU listing of Australian approved certifying organisations does not extend to other countries.
Relevant AQIS approved certifying organisations must ensure they have documented evidence that:
- Their QM system and policies conform to European Regulations.
- An Ex11300 Certificate of Inspection is only issued for plant and plant products of Australian origin – Product of Australia or Made in Australia in line with the Australian Government criteria.
- Australia’s Certificate of Inspection (Ex11300) are never issued for plant and plant products produced and exported by operators certified in another country.