2013-1 - New European Union regulations for organics
Department of Agriculture Notice Number: 2013/01
Date issued: 29 October 2013
Date of Expiry: Until Further Notice
Distributed to: Approved Certifying Organisations
Last Notice in the category: NIL
Instruction issued under: Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders
Department of Agriculture
Export Organic Program details
Phone: +61 2 6272 3928
Email: NPG Exports
To advise approved certifying organisations of the new European Regulations for organic which shall apply from 1 January 2014.
- Department of Agriculture has been informed that a new Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 392/2013 amending Regulation (EC) No 889/2008 in the EU organic control system has been adopted and shall apply from 1 January 2014.
- There are a number of changes in the new EU regulatory framework for organic control system. Examples of the changes brought with the new Commission Implementing Regulation include:
- Obligation for a minimum percentage of sampling (Article 65)
- Obligation on the operators on exchange of information with control bodies/control authorities/competent authorities (Article 92)
- Minimum requirements concerning additional and unannounced inspections (Article 92c)
- EU Commission requested that the Department of Agriculture complete side by side comparison of the amended EU Rules with the rules of Australia (the Export Control (Organic Produce Certification) Orders (Organic Orders), Administrative Arrangements and National Standard.Department of Agriculture approved certifying organisations to:
- As a result of this side by side comparison process, it was identified that approved certifying organisations and their organic operators should be notified of these enhanced requirements.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that satisfy the Articles of this new Implementing regulation; and
- Notify the Department of Agriculture when changes to your QM system have been implemented.