Objectives of the Strategy
Objectives of the Strategy
- Increase Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander participation in the forest growing, timber processing and non-timber forest products sectors
- Outline the means and support for Indigenous people to participate in these activities, especially where they promote the economic independence of Indigenous communities, the sustainable management of forest resources and improve the outcomes for existing industry participants, and
- Provide a link to key Government policy areas and industry strategies, thereby providing a structure for Indigenous people to assist with the development of Australia?s forest and timber industry.
Among other things the NIFS will:
- Identify existing Indigenous involvement in the Industries including Government and State initiatives
- Identify existing impediments to Indigenous involvement in the Industries and identify actions for overcoming impediments
- Identify the opportunities for Indigenous people to become involved in the Industries including suggestions for local and regional plans
- Identify actions, processes and potential outputs that will encourage and assist Indigenous people and communities to become involved in the Industries; including possible regions, funding options, training and education programs, technologies, species and forestry systems
- Identify and evaluate factors that may influence the growth, direction and future prospects for forestry development including current Indigenous projects in the Industries
- Propose the means and support for Indigenous people to participate in the Industries, particularly where they promote:
- the economic independence of Indigenous communities
- the utilisation of Industry networks and the development of business relationships between existing Industry participants and Indigenous people and communities
- the development of business relationships between Indigenous people and communities with financial institutions and the financial sector
- the development of relationships between Indigenous people and communities with Government and industry organisations that develop Industry policy
- improved and sustainable management of forests and plantations to maximise the economic, social and environmental benefits to all stakeholders (including existing Industry participants)
- suggest links to existing Government policy, programs and Industry strategy, thereby providing a structure for Indigenous people and communities to assist with the development of the Industries, and
- provide an effective management, implementation, monitoring and review plan for the Strategy, including measures for ongoing support of Indigenous people and communities.
- Improved economic and social outcomes for Indigenous communities and people through more active participation in the forest and timber products industry
- Increased participation by Indigenous peoples in regional, state and national forest policy development, management and industry activities, and
- Improved management and use of forests and plantations (wood and non-wood uses, managing country) to achieve greater economic, social, environmentally sustainable and cultural benefits for all Australians, in particular Indigenous Australians.