Food testing - Information for food importers
Where an imported food is directed for testing by the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources under the Imported Food Inspection Scheme (IFIS), the testing must be conducted by a laboratory appointed under section 34 of the Imported Food Control Act 1992.
The importer/owner of the food (or their authorised agent) must nominate an appointed analyst (laboratory) prior to booking an imported food inspection.
Prior to nominating a laboratory, the importer/owner (or their authorised agent) must:
- Check the required tests specified on the Food Control Certificate.
- Select a laboratory from the ‘List of Appointed Analysts’ table below, identifying that all of the required tests can be performed by that laboratory.
- Contact the laboratory to check that they:
- can perform the tests required on the food sample (as some laboratories are not accredited to perform certain tests on some classes of foods)
- have courier arrangements in place to collect samples from the department's collection sites (as some laboratories do not service all areas)
- will accept the nomination. Note: the importer/owner is responsible for paying the laboratory test costs and laboratories may require a deposit prior to testing
- Complete the IFIS Laboratory Nomination Form and forward it to the laboratory. An inspection cannot be booked until the laboratory accepts the nomination and notifies the department via the form.
Alternatively, the importer can set up an ongoing commercial arrangement with an appointed analyst and the regional office via the form.
If the samples are still subject to biosecurity control (for example, uncooked pig meat) the laboratory must be an Approved Arrangement (AA) site i.e. an AA site (Class 5) – these locations are marked with an asterisk (*) in the table below.
Further information on how to lodge an imported food entry can be found at Lodging import declarations and documentation.
List of appointed analysts
Phone and Email
|Agrifood Technology||Australia wide
Melbourne: (03) 9742 0555
|ALS Food & Pharmaceutical||New South Wales and Victoria
Sydney: (02) 8832 7500
Melbourne*: (03) 8756 8111
|DTS Food Assurance|
Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia
Melbourne*, Sydney*, Brisbane*
(03) 8371 7610
|National Measurement Institute||Australia wide
Melbourne* and Sydney*:
(03) 9644 4888
|SA Analytical Services||South Australia only
Adelaide: 1300 386 811
|Merieux NutriSciences trading as Silliker Australia||All states and territories except South Australia
Melbourne*, Perth*, Sydney* and Brisbane: (03) 8878 2100
|Symbio Laboratories||Australia wide
Brisbane*, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth: