IFN 03-20 – COVID-19 impact on the Imported Food Inspection Scheme
Date of effect: 30 March 2020
Food importers and brokers.
To advise importers and brokers that we are working to manage risks associated with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and to provide an update on current operations under the Imported Food Inspection Scheme (IFIS).
- The IFIS is currently fully operational including inspection officers and documentation assessment staff.
- A range of safety practices have been implemented, including the use of personal protective equipment in accordance with recommendations made by the Australian Department of Health to border agencies.
- These measures ensure adequate safeguards for inspectors, staff at businesses where inspections take place and other interactions with the broader community.
- Appointed analysts have advised there are currently no changes to the testing of food samples.
- We will provide updates if the operation of the IFIS is affected.
- Check our website regularly or subscribe to our mailing list for up to date information.
- Check Import Industry advice notices for up to date information on Biosecurity Operations.
Subscribe for updates
Stay updated on changes to the requirements for imported food. Subscribe to the Imported food inspection scheme imported food notices.