Great Artesian Basin groundwater project
We have allocated $6.5 million (from the National Water Infrastructure Development Fund) to improve understanding of the groundwater system and water balance in the Great Artesian Basin. Pilot studies will be held in the northern Surat Basin and western Eromanga Basin.
The project will use supercomputers and satellite technology to investigate:
- how water enters the Basin from rainfall
- how the water is used
- how much water is held in storage.
The project will be used to improve the management of Basin resources.
This project is led by Geoscience Australia in partnership with the:
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Australian National University
- government water agencies from Queensland, South Australia, New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
More information is available on the Geoscience Australia website.