Australia's State of the Forests Report 2013 (SOFR 2013) is the fourth in the series of State of the Forests Reports. The purpose of the report is to keep the public informed about Australia's forests, their management, use and conservation, and to provide information on how they are changing. It is also used to report on the state of Australia's forests to the world.
SOFR 2013 will be a key source of comprehensive, current information on Australia's forests for use by industry, state, territory and Australian governments, and research and educational institutions. It will also underpin a range of international reporting requirements.
Australia's State of the Forests Report 2013 is available in the following formats:
- Australia's State of the Forests Report 2013 – full report - PDF [31 MB], accessible MSWord [29 MB]
- Australia's State of the Forests Report 2013 – Executive summary - PDF [2MB], accessible MSWord [1 MB]
Criteria and indicators
Seven criteria and 44 indicators provide the framework and methodology for reporting on Australia's forests.
The criteria also form the main chapters of the report, as follows:
- Beginning sections (Foreword, Acknowledgements, Acronyms and Abbreviations, Agency name changes, Executive summary, Introduction) - PDF [4MB], accessible MSWord [4 MB]
- Criterion 1. Conservation of biological diversity - PDF [6MB], accessible MSWord [9 MB]
- Criterion 2. Maintenance of productive capacity of forest ecosystems - PDF [3MB], accessible MSWord [4 MB]
- Criterion 3. Maintenance of ecosystem health and vitality - PDF [2MB], accessible MSWord [3 MB]
- Criterion 4. Conservation and maintenance of soil and water resources - PDF [2MB], accessible MSWord [1 MB]
- Criterion 5. Maintenance of forest contribution to global carbon cycles - PDF [2MB], accessible MSWord [931 KB]
- Criterion 6. Maintenance and enhancement of long-term multiple socioeconomic benefits to meet the needs of societies - PDF [6MB], accessible MSWord [6 MB]
- Criterion 7. Legal, institutional and economic framework for forest conservation and sustainable management - PDF [3MB], accessible MSWord [1 MB]
- Final sections (Appendix A, Glossary, References, Tables, Figures, Boxes, Case studies, Index) - PDF [3MB], accessible MSWord [1 MB]
The datasets underpinning key indicators in SOFR 2013 are available at:
The datasets, including supporting metadata statements, are also available at:
A selection of maps from SOFR 2013 are available at: