Welcome to the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES), the science and economics research bureau of the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.
Our mission is to provide professionally independent and world-class multi-disciplinary research, analysis and advice to inform decision-makers in this department, other government agencies and the private sector on significant issues affecting Australia’s agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries.
ABARES performs its role to support the department’s strategic objectives:
- building successful primary industries
- supporting agricultural communities
- expanding agricultural, fisheries and forestry exports
- sustaining natural resources for longer term productive primary industries
- Improving water use efficiency and the health of rivers, communities, environmental assets and production systems
- managing biosecurity and imported food risk
- building an efficient and capable department
- being a best practice regulator.
Beef: Our special report into the South American beef industry profiles the beef industries of Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, including their growth over the past two decades. The report includes forward looking scenario analysis undertaken to assess the potential impacts of this region to Australia's future beef exports.
Farm share: We’ve examined Australian and international experience in monitoring farmgate and retail prices for food products. Our report outlines a simple methodology to monitor farm shares and farm-to-retail price spreads for food products, and investigates the potential to apply the methodology to Australian data.