Online reservations available – you can make an online reservation in the post entry quarantine (PEQ) facility in Mickleham, Victoria.
We recommend you submit your reservation for quarantine as soon as your import permit is granted, to avoid any disappointment or delays with your animal’s intended arrival date. We will assess reservation submissions within 7 days of receipt.
Once you receive notification we have approved your reservation, you should conduct pre-export examinations, treatments and blood tests to comply with the import conditions and reservation date.
Post entry quarantine facility for cats and dogs
Government operated cat and dog post entry quarantine services are provided in Mickleham, in Melbourne, Victoria.
All cats and dogs that require post entry quarantine isolation (group 2 and 3) must arrive on an international flight into Melbourne International Airport to undergo quarantine at the Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine (PEQ) Facility.
Please note: If there are no direct flights from your country of export into Melbourne International Airport you must arrange an approved overseas transhipment . Your airline or a pet transport agent can assist you in meeting these flight requirements.
Post Entry Quarantine Facility
Phone: 1800 900 090 or +61 3 8318 6700 (outside Australia)
Fax: +61 3 9391 0860
Invoicing, Bookings & General Inquiries
Hours: Monday – Friday (8: 00 – 16 : 00 hours )
Weekends and Australian Public Holidays: Closed
Who is ‘the person in charge of the animal’ and what are their responsibilities?
‘The person in charge of the animal’ is the person listed as the importer on the import permit. They are responsible for:
- ensuring the animal meets all import conditions, as a non- compliance may delay the animal’s release or require the animal to be exported out of Australia
- collecting the animal on completion of the quarantine isolation period
- paying all associated fees.
The importer may give permission for someone else to act as their authorised agent. Other persons may include a pet transport agency, family member or a friend. The importer must give this permission in writing and include the functions they authorise the agent to undertake on their behalf . For example, to receive information about an animal, collect the animal on completion of the quarantine isolation period, and authorise private veterinary treatment if required.
The importer can give this permission at any stage throughout the quarantine process, however it is preferable for it to be provided before the animal arrives.
The importer is also responsible for ensuring contact details for themselves and authorised agents are up to date both before their animal/s arrives and throughout the quarantine isolation period. It is important to provide your Australian contact details so we can contact you in the event of an emergency.
Fees and payments
Booking accommodation at the Post Entry Quarantine Facility
You can make a booking at the Mickleham PEQ Facility once we have granted your animal an import permit . Being granted an import permit does not guarantee accommodation availability. At times, waiting periods may apply.
Once you/your pet transport agent has made a booking through the online system, you will receive notification of the next steps to complete your booking, including timeframes. This will include paying for the known quarantine fees and providing further details such as flight and air way bill details. You/your pet transport agent can get these details from your airline.
We will only grant approval to your airline to uplift animals with a confirmed booking.
Animal arrivals into Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility
We will collect your animal on arrival in Melbourne for transport directly to the Mickleham PEQ Facility.
We have determined the following flight arrival windows for animals booked for quarantine at Mickleham. If you require further information about available flights that arrive within these arrival windows, please contact your airline or shipping agent.
|Monday – Friday – in the department’s normal working hours ||04:30 – 16:30 hours|
|Thursday and Friday ONLY – out of the department’s normal working hours* ||16:30 – 22:00 hours|
* Additional charges will apply for animals collected, transited and settled at the PEQ facility out of the department’s normal span of working hours (Monday – Friday 04:30 – 16:30).
We will apply further charges if flights are delayed and collection is required outside these hours.
Please note: we are aware that some countries have limited flight options available. In this case, you/your pet transport agent must send a written request to the Booking and Invoicing team at least 2 weeks prior to arrival. We will assess each request on a case-by-case basis.
We will notify you by e mail that your animal has arrived safely, within 24 hours of arrival. We will contact you immediately if there is an issue with your animal on arrival.
- Animals are housed in climate controlled pens.
- Animals will be allocated an individual pen at the time of booking.
- If you are importing multiple animals, we will try to house same species ( for example, two dogs) in adjacent pens, where possible.
- We will feed your animal a high quality, nutritionally balanced commercial dry food, once daily during their stay (unless veterinary advice states multiple feeds are required).
- You need to tell us if your animal has a special dietary requirement when applying for your permit . You must submit a Veterinary Medical Form DOCX [48KB, 1 page] outlining the animal’s condition and reason for requiring a different diet.
- If we approve your animal to receive a special diet, you must source the food in Australia and provide it to the PEQ facility with a copy of the Veterinary Medical Form DOCX [48KB, 1 page].
- Do not send food with your animal. We will destroy any food sent with animals upon arrival due to the possible biosecurity risks.
Bedding and toys
- Please don’t send items to the facility. We do not take responsibility for any items sent to or left at the facility.
- We will destroy all bedding, soft toys, comfort items etc that travels with the animal in their transport crate upon arrival as they become soiled during the journey.
- We will provide bedding for cats and dogs to suit their breed and age.
Visiting and exercise
- Under the current import conditions, most animals undergo 10 days in post entry quarantine. In this period we are focused on providing the care your animal needs, while managing the administrative and biosecurity requirements to prepare your animal for release from biosecurity control. Due to the short quarantine isolation period, we do not permit visiting of animals in post entry quarantine.
If your animal remains in quarantine for longer than expected, you may discuss visitation with the facility manager.
- We will attend to your animal’s exercise needs during his/her time in quarantine. The runs in the facilities are well set up, and provide most animals with adequate room to exercise within their run. Where veterinary advice recommends additional exercise, we will provide this.
- We will groom and bathe animals during their quarantine isolation period for biosecurity and/or hygiene reasons only.
- We recognise some animals may require specialist grooming during the quarantine isolation period. You can discuss this requirement with the facility manager. Supervision fees will apply.
Veterinary attendance for animals
- While our veterinarians will conduct a general health check and examine your animal for signs of exotic disease and biosecurity concerns during his/her stay, the facility does not have a resident veterinarian.
- In the event your animal requires assessment or treatment by a veterinarian, a private (non‑departmental) veterinarian can be called to the post entry quarantine facility to examine and treat your animal.
- If we think your animal requires veterinary attention, we will make reasonable attempts to immediately contact you or your authorised agent.
- If we cannot contact you or your authorised agent, your animal’s welfare will remain the priority and in emergency circumstances we will arrange veterinary care without delay.
- Private veterinary fees are not included in your quarantine fees. If a private veterinarian attends and/or treats your animal they will invoice you separately. You are responsible for the payment of all costs associated with consultations and treatment by a private veterinarian.
Animals with medical conditions
- We do not recommend importing sick animals. You should consider your animal's age and condition, and how they will cope with travel and climatic stress, when deciding to send your animal to Australia.
- To help us care for your animal, you must submit a Veterinary Medical Form DOCX [48KB, 1 page] outlining the animal’s condition/s and care requirements when you apply for an import permit.
- You must notify the Booking and Invoicing team if your animal is diagnosed with a medical condition after the import permit has been granted, to ensure that your animal's welfare and medical requirements can be managed at the facility.
- You must also notify us if your animal has any medical requirements when making your quarantine booking. In such circumstances, we will require additional documentation from your treating veterinarian in order to correctly manage the condition.
- The animal must be certified as fit to travel and undergo quarantine, and meet all other import conditions in full before departing the country of export.
Medicating animals in quarantine
We will only administer medication under instruction from your treating veterinarian and with supporting documentation. You need to submit a Veterinary Medical Form DOCX [48KB, 1 page] completed by your animal’s treating veterinarian, outlining the medical history, the type of medication required and the dosage rate, with your import permit application and when booking quarantine.
We will only administer medication that is clearly labelled with the:
- animal's name
- owner's surname
- name of the medication
- dose rate
- frequency rate
- route of administration, for example, oral, topical, ear or eye drops
- the medication expiry date.
We do not supply medication.
We will only administer medication between 8:00 and 16:00 hours. If your animal requires medication outside the facility’s medicating hours—such as diabetic or epileptic animals, you should discuss alternative treatment intervals with the animal’s veterinarian before import into Australia.
Management of imported medication in the Post Entry Quarantine Facility
Due to Australian legislative requirements and the potential biosecurity risk associated with imported veterinary medication, we may destroy any imported medication following the release of your animal, including medication that may be commercially available in Australia. As such, you should only send medication in a quantity sufficient to treat your animal during the quarantine isolation period.
- You should check whether your animal's current medication is available in Australia. If it is not, you may wish to consider changing to an equivalent medication that is available in Australia.
- You can arrange for a private veterinarian in Australia to examine your animal either during his/her quarantine isolation period or after the animal is released from biosecurity control. The veterinarian can then prescribe appropriate medication for your animal. Email the Booking and Invoicing team to arrange a suitable time for your veterinarian to attend the facility.
External parasite treatment
- Australian veterinarians recommend regular external parasite treatment of cats and dogs.
- We may apply additional treatments to any animals showing signs of active parasites in the facility. You are responsible for the cost of additional parasite treatments.
Heartworm prevention for dogs
Heartworm disease occurs in different areas of Australia. Heartworm is caused by the microorganism Dirofilaria immitis and is spread by mosquitoes.
Your dog does not require a heartworm test or treatment to be eligible for import. Preventative treatment can be arranged through a private veterinarian, at your expense.
Australian animal health and registration requirements
You/your authorised agent must collect your animal and their crate on the eligible release date. Animals can be collected between 10:00 and 12:00 hours.
135 Donnybrook Road Mickleham VIC 3064, enter from Polaris Road.
- Animals must be collected by the person named as importer on the import permit or their authorised agent.
- You must notify staff at the post entry quarantine facility of your authorised agent’s details before the eligible release date. Photo identification must be provided at the time of collection.
- The person responsible for collecting the animal is also responsible for collecting the animal’s transport crate. Additional fees apply if the crate is not collected.
Your animal cannot stay beyond their eligible release date. If you cannot collect your animal on the release date, you must make alternate arrangements for their pickup, boarding and care. A pet transport agency can assist. Find out more about animal transport companies from the International Pet and Animal Transport Association (IPATA).