Tests applied to risk food
Reference NUT 11/2018
All imported food must comply with Australia’s biosecurity import conditions.
Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON) to determine if the food you intend to import requires an import permit or a treatment or if it must meet any other conditions. All biosecurity requirements must be met before Imported Food Inspection Scheme requirements apply.
Imported Food Inspection Scheme risk food
Peanuts and peanut products, and pistachios and pistachio products for human consumption are classified as risk food. This includes:
- peanuts and pistachios that are in shell or without shell
- roasted or processed by physical means; that is, crushed and ground.
This also includes food containing greater than 30 per cent peanuts and/or pistachios such as:
- peanut sauce or satay sauce containing peanut
- pastes (for example, peanut butter and pistachio paste)
- mixed nuts
- coated nuts
- bakery goods.
Food excluded from this testing
- all nuts and nut products other than peanut and pistachio
- peanut oil or pistachio oil.
Risk food sampling
When goods are referred for inspection and testing, an authorised officer:
- will take samples for each product type
- will take 20 sample units per lot for analysis for peanut and pistachio single ingredient food or mixed food made up of only peanuts and pistachios
- will take five sample units per lot for analysis for all other peanut or pistachio products where the food contains 30 per cent or greater peanut or pistachio products.
Table 1 shows risk food tests applied to imported peanuts and peanut products, pistachios and pistachio products and permitted results.
Imports from New Zealand
Imports of this food from New Zealand will not be inspected or analysed under the Imported Food Inspection Scheme. This is because Australia and New Zealand have agreed to mutual recognition for the food safety controls for this food.
|16/11/2018||NUT 11/2018||Amended to consolidate webpages for peanuts and pistachios, and food that contains more than 30% peanuts and pistachios as an ingredient.|
|5/10/2016 ||NUT 10/2016||Amended to include peanut sauce or satay sauce containing peanuts|
|1/5/2014||NUT 05/2014||Replaces Imported Food Notice 09/12 Tests applied to risk category food|