These maps and other graphics were produced for Australia's State of the Forests Report 2018, and are available here for download in .png and .pdf file formats. A selection of the key maps from below are also available at Forest maps.
Executive summary maps
Criterion 1 maps and other graphics
- Figure 1.1: Australia's forests, by forest type: PNG [1.1 MB], PDF [3.5 MB].
- Figure 1.2: Native forest crown cover classes, height classes, and area proportions: PNG [1.7 MB].
- Figure 1.3: Native forest, by crown cover class: PNG [0.9 MB], PDF [3.5 MB].
- Figure 1.4: Australia's forests, by tenure: PNG [0.9 MB], PDF [3.5 MB].
- Figure 1.6: Differences between forest mapping in SOFR 2018 and SOFR 2013 in the northern part of the Northern Territory: PNG [0.7 MB], PDF [3.4 MB].
Indicator 1.1b Area of forest, by growth stage
- Figure 1.14: Classification of growth stages in native forests: PNG [0.1 MB].
Indicator 1.1c Area of forest in protected area categories
- Figure 1.16: Australia’s forests in the National Reserve System, by IUCN protected area category: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.4 MB].
Indicator 1.1d Fragmentation of forest cover
- Figure 1.17: Schematic diagram illustrating fragmentation metrics: PNG [0.1 MB].
- Figure 1.18: Native forest fragmentation class distribution across Australia: PNG [0.9 MB], PDF [3.4 MB].
- Figure 1.19: Native forest fragmentation class distribution across south-west Western Australia: PNG [0.5 MB], PDF [3.3 MB].
- Figure 1.20: Native forest fragmentation class distribution across an area near Lake Burragorang (Warragamba Dam), south-west of Sydney, New South Wales: PNG [0.2 MB], PDF [7.4 MB].
- Figure 1.21: Native forest patch size distribution across Australia: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [3.4 MB].
Indicator 1.2b The status of forest dwelling species at risk of not maintaining viable breeding populations, as determined by legislation or scientific assessment
- Figure 1.23A: Modelled distribution of listed threatened species. A forest-dwelling fauna: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.9 MB].
- Figure 1.23B: Modelled distribution of listed threatened species. B forest-dependent fauna: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.8 MB].
- Figure 1.23C: Modelled distribution of listed threatened species. C forest-dwelling flora: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.3 MB].
- Figure 1.23D: Modelled distribution of listed threatened species. D forest-dependent flora: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.0 MB].
- Figure 1.24: Modelled distribution of listed threatened forest ecological communities: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.8 MB].
- Figure 1.26: Swift Parrot breeding range: PNG [0.5 MB], PDF [2.8 MB].
Indicator 1.2c Representative species from a range of habitats monitored at scales relevant to regional forest management
Criterion 2 maps and other graphics
Indicator 2.1a Native forest available for wood production, area harvested, and growing stock of merchantable and non merchantable tree species
- Figure 2.1: Australia’s native forest available and suitable for commercial wood production, 2016: PNG [1.6 MB], PDF [3.7 MB].
- Figure 2.3: Silvicultural systems used in Australia's native forests: PNG [1.6 MB].
Indicator 2.1c Annual removal of wood products compared to the volume determined to be sustainable for native forests, and future yields for plantations
Criterion 3 maps
Indicator 3.1a Scale and impact of agents and processes affecting forest health and vitality
- Figure 3.6: Flux measurement sites in the TERN OzFlux facility that observed forest function during the 2013 heatwave: PNG [0.7 MB], PDF [1.4 MB].
Indicator 3.1b Area of forest burnt by planned and unplanned fire
Criterion 5 maps
Indicator 5.1a Contribution of forest ecosystems and forest industries to the global greenhouse gas balance
Criterion 6 maps
Indicator 6.4a Area of forest to which Indigenous people have use and rights that protect their special values and are recognised through formal and informal management regimes
- Figure 6.25: The Indigenous forest estate, by land ownership and management category: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [2.2 MB].
- Figure 6.26: Forest on non-Indigenous heritage-listed sites: PNG [0.7 MB], PDF [1.5 MB].
Indicator 6.5c Resilience of forest dependent communities to changing social and economic conditions
- Figure 6.45: Local Government Areas, by proportion of the total workforce employed in forest and wood products industries, 2016: PNG [0.8 MB], PDF [4.3 MB].
Indicator 6.5d Resilience of forest dependent Indigenous communities to changing social and economic conditions