About Australian crop industries
Crops industries provide a significant contribution to the national economy as well as many regional communities. For example, the grains and oilseeds industry (subject to seasonal variation) produces about 35-45 million tonnes of grain per annum from an area of more than 20 million hectares, with an annual gross value of production (GVP) of around A$9-13 billion.
Sugar and cotton are also major contributors with a gross value of production exceeding $1 and $2 billion respectively.
Key statistical information on Australian cropping industries provided by the Australian Government, including production and exports, is available at the following links:
- Australian Commodities-ABARE (quarterly). Select by series - Australian Commodities
- Australian Commodity Statistics-ABARE (annual). Select by series - or Australian Commodity Statistics
- Australian Crop Report-ABARE. Select by topic - Australian Crop report
- Australian Wheat Supply and Exports (monthly) - ABARES.
- Wheat use & stocks Australia - ABS.
Statistics By catalogue number – 7. Agriculture, Crops & Pastures – Wheat Use & Stocks, Australia