Our vision is a more sustainable and prosperous Australia through biosecurity, agricultural production and trade.
We maintain and create agricultural export opportunities, to provide gains for Australian agriculture, fishing and forestry. We manage biosecurity risks to Australia to protect our multi-billion-dollar industries and our way of life. We engage with international counterparts to reinforce Australia’s role in shaping how the global agriculture and fibre sector addresses food security, productivity, trade, sustainability and the impacts of climate change.
Our purpose and objectives
We will achieve our vision through our purpose: working together to safeguard and grow sustainable agriculture, fisheries and forestry for all Australians.
We focus on 3 objectives:
- Industry growth - supporting industry to grow towards a $100 billion agriculture, fisheries and forestry industry by 2030 amid changing global market conditions.
- Biosecurity - strengthening our national biosecurity system to provide an appropriate level of protection to Australia’s people, our environment and economy from the biosecurity threats of today and tomorrow.
- Resilience and sustainability - increasing the contribution agriculture, fisheries and forestry make to a healthy, sustainable and low-emissions environment.
Learn more about us and our strategic priorities for the next 4 years in our Corporate Plan 2022-23.
Our functions are set out in the Administrative Arrangements Orders. We:
- provide advice to the Australian Government
- deliver programs
- administer legislation including as a significant regulator in the Australian economy.
Laws we enforce
As a regulator we enforce laws relating to:
- agricultural goods imported into and exported from Australia
- agricultural levies
- imported food safety
- imported wood and paper products
- pest and disease risks of goods, people and vessels arriving in Australia.
- Read more about our responsibilities and the laws we administer.
We work with our stakeholders, governments and the public to achieve our objectives.
We seek feedback through:
- public consultation
- industry forums
- consultative committees
- international delegations
- working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
Discover how you can share your ideas.