Our vision is a more sustainable and prosperous Australia through biosecurity, production and trade.
Our purpose and objectives
We will achieve our vision by working together to safeguard and grow sustainable agriculture, fisheries and forestry for all Australians.
We focus on three objectives:
- Biosecurity - strengthening our national biosecurity system to provide an appropriate level of protection to Australia’s people, our environment and economy from the biosecurity threats of today and tomorrow.
- Resilience and sustainability - increasing the contribution agriculture, forestry and fisheries make to a healthy, sustainable and low emissions environment.
- Industry growth - supporting industry to grow toward a $100 billion agriculture, fisheries and forestry industry by 2030 amid changing global market conditions.
You will soon be able to learn more about our purpose, objectives, and strategic and cross-cutting priorities in our Corporate Plan 2022-23. Finalisation of the plan was delayed due to the machinery of government changes in 2022. We expect to release the plan early in 2023.
Our functions are set out in the Administrative Arrangements Orders. We:
- provide advice to the Australian Government
- deliver programs
- administer legislation including as a significant regulator in the Australian economy.
Laws we enforce
As a regulator we enforce laws relating to:
- pest and disease risks of goods, people and vessels arriving in Australia
- agricultural goods exported from Australia
- imported food safety
- imported wood and paper products
- agricultural levies.
Read more about our responsibilities and the laws we administer.
We work with our stakeholders, governments and the public to achieve our objectives.
We seek feedback through:
- public consultation
- industry forums
- consultative committees
- international delegations
- working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
Discover how you can share your ideas.