Review of the Farm Household Allowance (FHA)
The Australian Government commenced a review of the FHA program settings in October 2018. The review looked to determine:
- whether the program was reaching farmers in need
- if the original program objectives were being met
- if the program remained fit-for-purpose
- if the program contributed to an enduring approach to income support for farmers in hardship, including drought.
The FHA review final report Rebuilding the FHA: a better way forward for supporting farmers in financial hardship and the Australian Government’s response to the report’s recommendations are now available.
If you have difficulty accessing these files, visit web accessibility for assistance.
The review was conducted by an expert panel in consultation with stakeholders. Panel members included:
- Mrs Michele Lawrence (Chair), member of the Agricultural Industry Advisory Council and dairy farmer, Tasmania
- Ms Georgie Somerset, Deputy Chair of Agforce and cattle farmer, Queensland
- Professor Robert Slonim, Professor of Economics at the University of Sydney and former director of the Australian Government’s Behavioural Economics Team, New South Wales.
The panel conducted a public submission process to ensure all interested stakeholders were given the opportunity to participate.