Fats and Oils
Codex Committee on Fats and Oils (Host Government - Malaysia)
The Codex Committee on Fats and Oils (CCFO) is responsible for elaborating standards for fats and oils of animal, vegetable and marine origin including margarine and olive oil.
Existing Codex Standards
Standards relating to fats and oils* that have been endorsed and adopted into the international food code include standards on:
- Edible Fats and Oils not Covered by Individual Standards
- Olive Oil, Virgin and Refined, and Refined Olive-pomace Oil
- Named Vegetable Oils
- Named Animal Fats
- Storage and Transport of Edible Oils and Fats in Bulk
* This is an indicative list only. For a full list of standards approved by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, please consult its Official List of Standards.
The 24th Session of the Codex Committee on Fats and Oils met in Melaka, Malaysia from 9-13 February 2015..
Matters for Adoption by the 38th Commission
The Committee agreed to forward:
- The draft Standard for Fish Oils to the Commission for adoption at Step 5 of the procedure
- The Committee also agreed to forward for adoption by the Commission amendments o Appendix 2: List of Acceptable Previous Cargoes of the Code of Practice for the Storage and Transport of Edible Fats and Oils in Bulk (CAC/RCP 36-1987)
- The Committee also agreed to forward for adoption by the Commission new text replacing the statement on voluntary application in the following standards: for Edible Fats and Oils not covered by Individual Standards (CODEX STAN 19-1981); for Named Vegetable Oils (CODEX STAN 211-1999); for Named Animal Fats (CODEX STAN 210-1999) and for Olive Oils and Olive Pomace Oils (CODEX STAN 33-1981).
New Work for Approval by the 38th Commission
The Committee agreed to the following new work proposals for approval by the Commission:
- Revision of the Standard for Named Vegetable Oils: addition of palm oil with high oleic acid (OxG)
- Revision of the Standard for Named Vegetables Oils: Revision of Fatty Acid Composition and Other Quality Factors of Peanut Oil
- Revision of the Standard for Olive Oil and Olive Pomace Oil: Revision of Section 3
Matters Referred to Other Committees
Committee on Methods of Analysis
The committee agreed to inform CCMAS that ISO 12228:1999 was withdrawn and replaced by ISO 12228-1:2014 and ISO 12228-2 and that ISO 12228-2:2014 and COI/T.20/Doc.No.30 were equivalent.
The Committee also forwarded methods of analysis and sampling in the proposed draft Standard for Fish Oils for endorsement.
Committee on Food Additives
The Committee forward the food additive provisions in the proposed draft Standard for Fish Oils to the Committee on Food Additives for endorsement.
The 25th Session of the Codex Committee on Fats and Oils has been scheduled to be held in Malaysia in early 2017 with final arrangements subject to confirmation by the Host Country and Codex Secretariat.