Date of issue: 07 February 2022
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2022-04
- Industries—Industry bodies – Dairy Australia – Infant Nutrition Council, Dairy Export Industry Consultative Committee, Australian Food and Grocery Council
- Export establishments for the following commodities: Dairy
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment — Central and Regional offices
This Market Access Advice provides information on Egypt’s new process for halal certification. From 1 October 2021, milk and milk products exported to Egypt require halal certification from IS EG Halal. IS EG Halal has been contacting exporters as import permits have been issued to provide certification. The department is confirming an implementation date for edible non-prescribed goods.
- Egypt has established a new organisation IS EG Halal as the sole halal certification body for food products imported into Egypt (Ministerial Decree No. 35/2020).
- From 1 October 2021, milk and milk products arriving at an Egyptian port will need to be accompanied by a halal certificate provided by IS EG Halal. IS EG Halal has been contacting exporters as import permits have been issued to provide Halal certification at no cost.
- From 28 February 2022, IS EG Halal will commence charging for certification.
- For edible non-prescribed goods, the department will provide further advice once confirmation of the implementation date has been provided by Egyptian authorities.
- Exporters should liaise with their importer to confirm halal certification requirements with IS EG Halal – including the payment of fees.
- The department encourages exporters visit the Manual of Importing Country Requirements (Micor) for Egypt for further detail on export requirements for Egypt.
Contact ExportStandards@agriculture.gov.au if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.