Date of issue: 23 November 2022
Date of effect: 1 January 2023
Reference Number: MAA2022-18
- Industries—Industry bodies - Seafood Export Consultative Committee
- Export establishments
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry - Central and Regional offices
This Market Access Advice (MAA) is to notify industry of new certificate requirements by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) from 1 January 2023. The new requirements may impact the export of fish and fish products to India if an interim arrangement is not available.
Summary of key points
- FSSAI has notified the department that it will implement new certificate requirements for export of fish and fish products to India from 1 January 2023.
- The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (the department) is engaging with FSSAI to negotiate new export health certification for fish and fish products.
- Product exported to India on existing health certification may not be accepted at import inspection on or after 1 January 2023 and may be at elevated risk of being detained.
- The department may not be able to facilitate the release of detained consignments impacted by the changes.
- The department is urgently seeking confirmation from FSSAI that an interim arrangement is available to allow the existing bilaterally agreed health certification for the export of fish and fish product to India to be accepted after 1 January 2023 certification negotiations are finalised.
- The department recommends exporters, exercise caution when exporting fish and fish products to India where product will arrive on or after 1 January 2023 until health certification requirements have been clarified.
- The department will publish further Market Access Advice while updated information is received.
Contact email@example.com if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.