10 December 2020
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to notify stakeholders of updates to the Plant Exports Management System (PEMS).
Summary of changes and key points
- PEMS now offers increased functionality for other industry users, including exporters, EDI (EXDOC) users and those in management and control at plant export Registered Establishments. PEMS can now be used by
- exporters and EDI users to create RFP extracts, allowing supporting documents to be uploaded into PEMS prior to the inspection
- all external executives to review inspections created by their AOs prior to, or post, submission, if required
- all external executives to download inspection and calibration reports
- establishment executives to review all inspections undertaken at their establishment/s and create and download activity reports and container reports.
- The Reference: Plant Exports Management System (PEMS) External Executive – User Guide has been updated to reflect these changes.
- All parties involved in the plant exports process must utilise PEMS to support the plant exports process.
- We will be contacting relevant stakeholders to discuss the registration process, however you can self-register by following the steps in the new Factsheet – How to register for PEMS as an External Executive.
- The Reload from EXDOC checkbox will now be ticked by default for all initial inspections to ensure the information extracted into PEMS is the most up to date version.
- Other enhancements include
- additional declarations for Bulk Vessel Inspections in relation to marine surveyors
- additional requirement for each Bulk Vessel Inspection AO to login to attach their individual Take 5 assessment to ensure compliance with WHS legislation
- ability to associate an RFP number to containers on an Empty Container Inspections
- consolidated invoicing for RFPs (when the inspection is conducted by a departmental AO)
- fix for the system conflict for commodity inspections for New Zealand where multiple endorsements were associated to a commodity line on the RFP, see IAN 2020-64 for more information.
- The following user guides have been updated to reflect these changes:
- Bulk vessel inspections
- Empty container inspections
- In-transit cold treatment (ITCT) calibration records
- AO user guide – overview and general functions
PEMS is an IT system that is used to capture and store information relating to the export of plants and plant products from Australia, including plant product export inspection, calibration results and transport units.
In May 2019, PEMS was made available to all plant export external AOs, exporters, EDI users and registered establishment executives, across Australia. The use of PEMS for the export of plants and plant products will become mandatory from 1 February 2021.
The system is supported with a suite of tools, including user guides and factsheets, available on the Plant Exports Management System webpage.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email PEMS Administrator.
Plant Export Operations Branch