31 May 2019
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that the Plant Export Management System (PEMS) is now available for use by Authorised Officers (AOs) and industry across Australia.
Summary of changes and key points
- PEMS is now available for use by plant export external AOs, exporters, Export Document Interface (EDI) users and registered establishments, across Australia.
- Instructions on how to register for access are available on the Department of Agriculture website.
- The release is supported by a suite of tools designed to help users navigate PEMS, and are available on the Plant Export Management System webpage.
- Training will be provided on all aspects of PEMS via video tutorials hosted in Learnhub and on the Plant Export Management System webpage (available soon).
- There will be a transitional period where the department will accept either manual or electronic plant export documentation for assessment.
- The use of PEMS for the export of plants and plant products will be mandatory from May 2020.
- Further information about PEMS is available on the Plant Export Management System webpage.
PEMS is an IT system that is used to capture and store information relating to the export of plants and plant products from Australia; including plant product export inspection, in-transit cold treatment (ITCT) calibration results and transport units.
PEMS aims to streamline the plant export process for clients and external AOs by reducing the need to manually complete and submit inspection and calibration records, and associated supporting documentation.
In November 2018, PEMS was released to industry via a pilot program in Tasmania and South Australia. The pilot program was successful and demonstrated that PEMS is intuitive and easy to use.
The department is making PEMS available to all plant export external AOs, exporters, EDI users and registered establishment executives, across Australia. The release is supported with a suite of tools, including
- user guides and factsheets, available on the Plant Export Management System webpage
- video tutorials, available soon on Learnnub for AOs and on the Plant Export Management System webpage for other users.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the PEMS Administrator.
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch