13 September 2021
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to notify stakeholders of updates to the Plant Exports Management System (PEMS).
Summary of changes and key points
- The following updates have been made to PEMS:
- Automatic validation of ‘Accredited Farm Block Numbers’ and ‘Accredited Packhouse Numbers’ for avocado and mango protocol markets.
- The horticulture inspection record has been updated to include specific fields for accredited property information.
- The ability to reactivate an inspection record has been increased from once to three times to permit the correction of minor errors to non-core information.
- The AO can now notify any interested parties that the inspection record has been submitted by email directly from PEMS.
- All relevant user guides have been updated.
PEMS is an IT system that is used to capture and store information relating to the export of plants and plant products from Australia, including plant product export inspection, calibration results and transport units.
As part of our commitment to continually improving our services to industry, PEMS is regularly updated. The most recent updates have been made based on user feedback.
In July 2021, a pilot of the accredited properties validation was conducted for citrus protocol markets. The validation had demonstrable benefits for industry by reducing errors and resubmissions, as the system generates an error if an incorrect number is entered. The validation exists for the commodity – country – property relationship. After the success of the pilot, the same enhancement has been applied for avocado and mango protocol markets. All other commodities will be added at the beginning of their export seasons.
Further information about PEMS is available on the Plant Export Management System webpage.
All users of PEMS should clear their cache after each release to ensure they are using the latest version of PEMS, this will ensure fewer issues are encountered.
All users of PEMS should familiarise themselves with what has changed and follow updated PEMS user guides.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email PEMS Administrator.
For more information about PEMS system integration, please contact the PEMS Technical Support team.
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch