03 June 2022
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise that the commencement of the Accredited Grain Surveyor Assurance (AGSA) scheme is postponed until further notice.
Summary of changes and key points
- The start of the AGSA scheme has been delayed and will not commence on 1 July 2022.
- Until a new commencement date has been confirmed, industry should continue to operate as usual, in line with current processes.
- We will provide further updates to industry once a new commencement date has been confirmed.
- The scheme will be administered by the Australasian Institute of Marine Surveyors (AIMS).
The Export Control Act 2020 and the Export Control (Plants and Plant Products) Rules 2021 (Plant Rules) set the requirements for the export of plants and plant products. On 1 January 2022, amendments were made to the Plant Rules to clarify the requirements for marine surveyors to be accredited to perform bulk vessel surveys. On 1 July 2022, these amendments were scheduled to take effect.
Marine surveyor responsibilities
- The qualification and experience requirements for marine surveyors to be accredited under the AGSA scheme are available on the plant export legislation changes webpage.
- Marine surveyors wishing to be accredited under the scheme may continue to undertake training to fulfill those requirements.
- Marine surveyors must continue to issue marine surveyor certificates (or fitness to load certificates) in line with current processes.
Authorised officer responsibilities
- Authorised officers appointed in the job function BVI3001: Export inspection of empty bulk vessels must continue to operate in line with current instructional material available in the Plant Export Operations Manual.
Exporter and shipping company responsibilities
- Exporters, shippers, and shipping agents must continue to source qualified marine surveyors under the current Plant Rules to perform bulk vessel surveys.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email Plant Export Reform.
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch