23 September 2022
This Industry Advice Notice (IAN) is to advise registered establishments with existing approved CIFER accounts from the October/December 2021 fast track process, to complete the ‘June 2023 update’ process in CIFER.
- Applications completed after December 2021 are complete and no further action is required.
- Establishments that took part in the October – December 2021 fast track process, are now required to complete their full registration and action updates to their CIFER accounts prior to 30 June 2023.
- Establishments are required to action the June 2023 update in the CIFER system when requested to do so by the Grain CIFER registrations team, including:
- Updating your existing listing in CIFER.
- Emails were distributed by the export listing team in January 2021 with CIFER usernames and passwords. This IAN will provide information on how to obtain a temporary password to access CIFER if you have not already received your login details.
- Establishments must complete and provide to the Grain CIFER registrations team a self-assessed checklist. Emails were distributed by the Grain CIFER registrations team to identified contact persons who had applications approved during the fast-track application process in October – December 2021, requesting the self-assessed checklist be completed and provided for assessment of confirming with requirements.
- If you have not been contacted by the department to provide this information, please contact the Grain CIFER registrations team.
June 2023 Update
On 1 January 2022, the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (GACC) implemented Decree 248 – Regulations of the People’s Republic of China and Administration Overseas Manufacturers of Imported Food.
As part of the decree, the GACC created the China Import Food Enterprise Registration (CIFER) system. The GACC created CIFER accounts for establishments that were recommended by the department.
The accounts for these establishments and details of their registered product category are not complete and are missing compulsory fields. The GACC has stated that these establishments are required to complete their account and registration details prior to 30 June 2023. This process has been referred to as “June 2023 update”.
Usernames and passwords to access CIFER
Usernames and passwords for CIFER accounts were sent out by the export listing team in January 2021. However, if you have not received a username and password for your CIFER account then you will need to:
- Obtain a temporary password to access CIFER from the department by e-mailing The Grain CIFER registrations team at Grainchinaregistration@agriculture.gov.au
- Follow the instructions in the return e-mail to access your establishment information in CIFER.
The Grain CIFER registrations team has emailed the contact person of the applications sent through during the October/December 2021 fast track application process. This email outlined that:
- The department requires the establishment to complete a self-assessment using the checklist for the product category(s) they are approved for.
- The establishment would need to provide the Grain CIFER registrations team the completed checklist along with supporting material to reflect that the establishment is conforming with the GACC requirements stated on the checklist
- The supporting materials will need to be supplied to the department as multiple emails/or compressed zip folders.
- The department will review the self-assessment and supporting materials to ensure that the establishment conforms to all the GACC requirements set out in the checklist.
Note: If you have not been contacted by Grain CIFER registrations team to provide this information and believe you should have as you had an application approved in October/December 2021, please contact the Grain CIFER registrations team.
Preparation required before the June 2023 update
What you need to do:
- Have a company seal or stamp available
You will need to sign AND stamp documents that must be uploaded into the CIFER system.
- Identify your establishments "legal representative"
A person needs to be nominated in CIFER as your company’s legal representative. This will be the person who will sign and stamp the documents you will upload to the system.
This person must be a person with legal authority for the establishment (i.e., the Director, CEO, owner) or other person in a permanent position who is nominated with the Department as being in management and control at the establishment.
- Identify your establishments contact for CIFER
A person at your establishment will also need to be nominated as a contact and you will need to provide an e-mail address for them. This e-mail will be used to verify changes you make to CIFER, so they will need access to the e-mail account you choose when you are making changes in the CIFER system.
This person should also be listed in management and control at the establishment so that the department can verify their position if contacting the department for a CIFER password reset.
- Have a copy of your establishment’s Certificate of Registration available
You will need to upload a copy into the CIFER system.
- Contact your importer in China (as applicable) and confirm HS codes
The CIFER system identifies each type of plant product that you can export using a 13-digit HS code. It will be helpful to you if your importer can provide you with a list of the HS codes that are matched to the products that you export.
Maintaining your registration:
- Once the Grain CIFER registrations team has verified your checklist as conforming, you will be requested to update your existing listing information. This can be done using the Application for Modification within CIFER, please do not complete an application for modification without being requested to do so.
- When requested to complete the modification of application, the Grain CIFER registrations team will provide information on how this can be completed. Once completed and submitted:
- The application will then be assessed by the department.
- If the application needs to be amended, you will be requested to make changes.
- If the application is complete the department will then submit to GACC for approval.
- If you need to make a major change to your establishments existing listing in CIFER – for example when the company name or address is no longer correct, please contact The Grain CIFER registrations team to discuss what action needs to be taken.
If you have any questions regarding this IAN please email the Grain CIFER registrations team.
Acting Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch