17 June 2021
Who does this notice affect?
This notice is of interest to exporters, exporting National Plant Protection Organisations (NPPOs) and importers (and their customs brokers) of fresh table grapes from India, Mexico, and Korea.
Date of effect
17 June 2021.
Imported fresh fruit and vegetables are required to be secured (i.e. made insect-proof) prior to shipment to maintain the commodities quarantine integrity on arrival. This is achieved by using one of the department’s secure packaging / consignment options, as described in the commodity case within the Biosecurity Import Conditions System (BICON).
The department has undertaken a review of ‘secure packaging / consignment options’ associated with host commodities originating from a country where Drosophila suzukii is present. The review identified the need to update mesh size requirements to ensure that the consignment security options are appropriate to manage the risk of this high priority pest for host commodities including kiwifruit, strawberries, stone fruit and table grapes.
This change is specific to the mesh size referenced in securing ventilated cartons and/or meshing of pallets and unit loaded devices. The mesh size is changing from 1.6mm to 0.98mm pore diameter.
Secure packaging / consignment options listed in BICON, for table grapes from India, Mexico, and Korea have been updated as below:
- Integral cartons - produce may be packed in integral (fully enclosed) cartons (packages) with boxes having no ventilation holes and lids tightly fixed to the bases.
- Ventilation holes of cartons covered - cartons (packages) with ventilation holes must have the holes covered/sealed with a mesh/screen of no more than 0.98 mm pore size. Alternatively, the vent holes could be taped over.
- Polythene liners - vented cartons (packages) with sealed polythene liners/bags within are acceptable (folded polythene bags are acceptable).
- Meshed or shrink wrapped pallets or Unit Loading Devices (ULDs) - ULDs transporting cartons with open ventilation holes/gaps, or palletised cartons with ventilation holes/gaps must be fully covered or wrapped with polythene/plastic/foil sheet or mesh/screen of no more than 0.98 mm diameter pore size.
- Produce transported in fully enclosed containers - cartons (packages) with holes as loose boxes or on pallets may be transported in fully enclosed containers. Enclosed containers include 6-sided container with solid sides, or ULDS with tarpaulin sides that have no holes or gaps. The container must be transported to the inspection point intact.
For additional information you can email Plant Import Operations Branch at email@example.com or phone 1800 900 090.