Malaysia: Notification of withdrawal of an Australian Islamic Certifier as a recognised Malaysian halal certification body (2019-15)
Date of issue: 3 October 2019
Date of effect: Immediate
Reference Number: MAA2019-15
- Industries—Industry bodies – Dairy Australia – Infant Nutrition Council
- Export dairy establishments
- Licensed exporters
- Department of Agriculture — Central and Regional offices
To notify manufacturers and exporters of halal dairy products to Malaysia that Malaysia’s Department of Islamic Development Malaysia (JAKIM) has advised of a change to the list of recognised foreign halal certification bodies in Australia.
Summary of key points
- The department has received communication from Malaysia’s JAKIM advising that as of 25 September 2019, JAKIM has withdrawn approval of the Islamic Co-ordinating Council of Victoria (ICCV) as a recognised foreign halal certification body.
- All products certified by ICCV on or prior to 25 September 2019 will not be permitted entry into Malaysia, except in the following circumstances:
- Products certified on or prior to 25 September 2019 and already in Malaysia
- Products on route to Malaysia, certified on or prior to 25 September 2019
- Products processed on or prior to 25 September 2019 that are not yet shipped will be considered if supported with:
- a valid halal certificate issued by ICCV
- JAKIM has advised that manufacturers may continue to export to Malaysia however they must take immediate action to obtain halal certification from another Malaysia recognised halal certification body.
- Exporters are advised to work closely with their importer to ensure all importing country requirements are met.
Contact Exports if you have any queries.
The information provided in this advice is current at the time of writing and is intended for use as guidance only and should not be taken as definitive or exhaustive. The Commonwealth endeavours to keep information current and accurate, however, it may be subject to change without notice. Exporters are encouraged to verify these details with their importers prior to undertaking production/exports. The Commonwealth will not accept liability for any loss resulting from reliance on information contained in this notice.