2016-02 - Grain and Seed Exports Program – Review of pests associated with stored grains and plant products (excluding horticulture and forest products)
15 January 2016
To advise the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (department) Authorised Officers and Australian exporters of the revised list of live injurious insects requiring nil tolerance in inspected samples of plants and plant products (excluding horticulture and forest products) intended for export.
The Australian grain industry requested the department to remove fungus and mould beetles from the list of live insects requiring nil tolerance. The department reviewed the list of injurious insects requiring nil tolerance as published in Plant Export Operation Manual Volume 6A. The department conducted a formal pest categorisation and concluded that seven of the insects listed as injurious are unable to feed or breed on healthy grain. The following seven insects have been removed from the list of injurious pests requiring nil tolerance:
- Mould beetle (Cryptophagous spp)
- Black fungus beetle (Alphitobius laevigatus)
- Tineid moths (Niditinea fuscipunctella; Tineola bisselliella; Tinea pallescentella; Tinea pellionella)
- Spider beetle (Gibbium psylloides).
The Plant Export Operations Manual Volume 6A will be updated to reflect this advice. These insects are now considered as field insects and a normal 50 tonne rejection principle will be applied during phytosanitary inspection.
- Mould beetles (Cryptophagous spp), black fungus beetle (Alphitobius laevigatus), tineid moths (Niditinea fuscipunctella; Tineola bisselliella; Tinea pallescentella; Tinea pellionella) and spider beetle (Gibbium psylloides) are considered field species and a 50 tonne rejection principle will be applied to these species during phytosanitary inspection.
- Plant Export Operations manual Volume 6A will be updated.
- These changes are effective immediately.
If you require further information, please contact the Grain and Seed Export Program on 02 6272 3229 or email Grain Export
A/g Assistant Secretary
Plant Export Operations Branch